September 22, 2012

What's for Dinner? Dog.

Earlier tonight I had a long talk with my new out-of-town friends kuya Dexter from La Union and Kaan from Baguio, just about anything under the stars (there was no sun). We came to the point where our topic was about dogs and how eating them is a delight for many.

Kabaitan Bautista, nicked "Kaan" is from a prominent family from Baguio City. Their family owns the prestigious University of Bagiuo. He has 11 other siblings and all of them are named differently from the rest of the conventional others (Matimyas, Magiting, Pananalig, etc. I can't remember all their cool names.) I also had the chance to meet one of his brothers Rayo in La Union and his only sister Matimyas, nicked "Tims" who is a medical doctor, not to mention awesomely funny. On the other hand, kuya Dexter is a surfer from La Union. This guy is just hilarious.

So much for the background check, let's get back to the main topic. Kaan shared that in Baguio, it is not strange for dogs to be eaten. In fact, they are served as proper dishes in some food establishments there. I have been to Baguio several times but I never knew this fact. I was obviously absent during the briefing, which actually didn't occur. Kaan said, dog meat is like no other. Especially when properly served, it surpasses the usual flavors of chicken, pork, beef and fish meat.


Likewise in La Union, they make dogs as pulutan, according to kuya Dex. They even make lechon dogs there.

I never knew northern Filipinos were so friendly to dogs. I don't eat dogs, nor is eating them a normal habit in the place where I'm from, but even if it is attested that it tastes really good, I don't think I'll be able to take it in. Well, fine, I'm not sure if I can't. I love discovering new things, so who knows. I might just have a hot dog for breakfast tomorrow. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment