October 1, 2012

The Little Rascals

Earlier this afternoon, I got a copy of my ultimate favorite movie when I was a kid, The Little Rascals. This kid-mischief-oriented film was released way back in 1994 about a group of young boys who are "woman-haters" trying to prevent one of their members from getting together with a girl whom he is so much in love with; and well, to win the race towards the end (just read the summary in the link in the title, will ya).

I watched the whole film again and no words can explain how happy I was while watching it. All the good kid feeling I felt more or less 15 years ago came back and the nostalgia was just intense. I was literally smiling and laughing the entire time, likewise having realized I really didn't understand so many details about the movie because I was just 5 or 6 years old at the time. I just watched it and had fun.

When my dad saw me watching the movie earlier, he got amused and asked all sorts of questions like if I still remembered the sequences and having to watch it over and over and over and over again until the VHS tape itself got exhausted. He told me every time we went to the VHS store, I'd always choose this movie and never get tired of it.


Having watched it today, I kinda knew why I loved it. I've always been a kid-at-heart up until now that I'm grown-up, I always wanted to remain as a kid and never have complicated problems and all that adult stuff, the kid humor makes me feel really good, and plainly because I love kids.


Kids who had the chance to watch this film will never forget Alfalfa (Bug Hall), the hopeless romantic, would-do-anything-for-the-one-he-loves guy, and has the iconic hairstyle. But he's not my favorite, it's Porky (Zachary Mabry). I think he was the youngest (along with Buckwheat) and an innocently cute kid. He's really adorable as a kid and I want a son like him someday. In the movie, he was all smiles and cuteness that no one can resist.


It also amuses me so much how the whole cast transformed from being kids to grown-ups (we are in the same age group, by the way). Adding up, it's magical thinking that I could swear it was only last week when I was just a kid watching this for the the nth time trying to savor the limited hours it's been rented until I could no longer help but fall asleep.


Oh yeah, young Olsen twins had an appearance here. Catch them in the clip above. Other famous celebrities who were featured here were Raven Symoné and Whoopi Goldberg. Most of the main cast didn't continue to be active in the film industry, though.

I'm gonna grab copies of things from the past and have nostalgia overload. How about you, what childhood movie makes you feel the same? x

No comments:

Post a Comment