October 5, 2012

Confessions of a Non-Alcoholic

In a very alcoholic generation like ours, almost everyone drinks booze. In fact, more than half of my friends and acquaintances are moderate to frequent drinkers. However, as a young adult, I still don't fully understand the goodness in getting tipsy, being hammered, nor going wasted.

I understand that it has been a tradition for us Filipinos to drink in so many different situations and occasions. It's just not gonna be the same without alcohol. It's almost like a way of life for so many. But there are just times that I wonder why so many people drink like it's a baby gone a bender with his milk. It's crazy.

To be honest, I already got drunk more than twice before. On my defense, those were situations where one would rather choose to be drunk even if they don't want to than to be sober and be an alien. Be that as it may, in any bottle or glass of liquor that successfully made my head spin, not once was I happy about it. I was never glad I got drunk. Aside from the absolute fact that it makes me feel terrible, I get unnecessarily paranoid from its effect to the human body, particularly the liver. Though once in a while alcohol intake is good, I convince myself that I don't need it.

Recently, I finally found out why firewater and I aren't the best of friends. I'm allergic to alcohol. I got a chance to talk to a professional and told him how dramatic my body becomes and how these weird things just come crashing in every time I try to drink. I then underwent through so many intense medical examinations and that was his diagnosis.

Up until not long ago, I always told people who wanted to make me drink that I can't because I'm allergic. At the time, it was supposed to be just a false alibi for not wanting to drink. It came true anyway. Law of attraction, maybe? At least, I have a truthful excuse now.

Most of my friends know I don't/can't drink yet still invite me to sessions. Well those sessions also involve conversations and insanity which I am good at. When everybody's already groggy and disoriented, I automatically become a one-man support team, designated driver, or sober partner.

I likewise admit that I'm the so called "Kung-Fu" which is slang and the shortened form of the Tagalog phrase "kung pumulutan" (when eating finger foods). That's mainly my role, and nobody will dare complain because I still give contribution even if I don't drink. Bleh.

Some say, all the more that I need to drink the bottle and fight the allergy so that I may get rid of it, and that it's just a matter of getting used to. I say, I don't need to ditch this antipathy because I don't need to drink alcohol in the first place. I also made a promise that I will never let myself get drunk for as long as there's still sanity in my gut. I guess my being a hungry pig in the group is enough conviviality. Thank you.

PS. I love drunkards. It's not you, it's me. I still drink wine. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment