August 17, 2011

Live It. Love It. Hong Kong.

Hong Kong is one of the most visited places for tourists in Asia. At least that's what I know. Not to mention the massive amount of Filipinos going there everyday to and fro. Maybe because it's so near and budget airlines are very accessible? No wonder many of the Hong Kongers learn Tagalog unaware. Exaggeration.

Well, here is a bunch of places in one of two special administrative regions of China, the other being Macau. I suggest that you visit these places because they're worth visiting. Why else? In my part, I am not a lone traveler. That being said, I brought along my cousin and my mom which was supposed to be there for a convention. I love having company during my travels. It's a lot more fun that way. And safer. ;)



The public transportation in Hong Kong is largely similar to Singapore's. I even think they only got the same producer or something like that. It's really the same. Really. The tapping galore, the utter convenience, both countries drive on the left, and simply how the transportation exteriors look like. Only that Hong Kong has these double-decker trams in the middle of the streets (pink vehicle above) which Singapore doesn't.





The Victoria Peak is the highest mountain on the island proper, but not in the entirety of Hong Kong, an honour which belongs to Tai Mo Shan. The actual summit of Victoria Peak is occupied by a radio telecommunications facility and is closed to the public. However, the surrounding area of public parks and high-value residential land is the area that is normally meant by the name The Peak. It is a major tourist attraction which offers views over central Hong Kong, Victoria Harbour, and the surrounding islands. You can go up there via the Peak Tram or the bus. Going up there, it's really cold and the scenery is breath-taking.



We rode the Disneyland train which was so fancy, I felt like a baby while I was inside. The windows were Mickey-shaped and there were glamorous Disney character figurines inside the train; and the seats, sofa, baby. Inside the theme park itself, you will really feel like, 20 years younger. So that made me an infant while we were there. My favorite was the "It's a Small World" ride because it was a really perfect and happy world inside. Guess what, there was a Filipino version of the It's a Small World song and there was, like this "Filipino section" of the small world where Filipino dolls were dancing some folk dance inside this cute nipa hut.



We went to the Avenue of Stars and Ocean Park. I rode the Abyss ride where you're brought really high up in the air that's as high as a skyscraper (you can practically see the entire country from up there, shitters) and suddenly zooms you down with unexplainable speed. The feeling was deadly but in a good way, though.

That night, we attacked the famous Night Market and we got kinda lost at first. It's like a first class Divisoria, bright and packed with shoppers from all over the world. By the way, I got to drink this awesome juice called Ribena (which is not sold in the Philippines) and I died because of its awesomeness. The taste is like heaven even if I haven't gone there yet.

When we were about to go out from the MTR station, two dudes walking beside us were talking loudly in Tagalog. I guess they weren't expecting people around them to understand what they were actually talking about. I think they were backbiting some chick or whatever I forgot because I wasn't really paying attention to their conversation, but it was obvious that they were making fun of a person. Then I suddenly barged into their lives and asked, "Excuse me, anong oras nagsasara yung MTR?" (what time does the MTR service terminate?), and it was obvious that they were kinda shocked up the ass and one of them reluctantly replied, "ahh, errm, 1AM, 1AM...", while trying to get to the side, awkwardly giggling to their humiliation.

The Hong Kong International Airport versus me. As one of the largest passenger terminal buildings in the world if not the largest, it gave me a bit of trouble. I generally got exhausted through the journey from the check-in counter to our gate. See, you have to walk and walk and walk, stride, prance, go up escalators, go down them, ride an INDOOR TRAIN, dive your way, and I can go on forever before you get to see your plane. Yes, a rich airport it may seem, it will also give you a rich exercise. It really is true what they say. "It's not just about the destination, it's also about the journey."

So be warned.

No comments:

Post a Comment