August 18, 2011

When I Was a Kid... (#1 - Rainbow)

I decided to start this series entitled "When I Was a Kid..." for the good reason that from time to time, these distinct memories from my childhood pop up in my mind and are mostly immature misconceptions. These situations may be influenced by adult supervision, peers, the natural flow of the environment, or self regulation. Or whatever. Nevertheless, I already have this summary in my unsophisticated brain and I felt the need to publish them for all you cool readers to know and if you find it similar with their childhood experiences as well.

#1

When I was a kid, I always thought pointing at a rainbow will actually make my finger/s rot. As a child, rainbows are magical. Admit it. It's a huge wonder how rainbows are formed when I was a naive kid. Even now that I'm absolutely legal, I still stop and stare at the thing with impulsive sparkles in my eyes still wondering God knows who makes them. Oh, did I just answer that?

Sometimes they're there, most of the time they're not. They're like hard to reach celebrities who are arrogant enough to come and go and don't even care about how their spectators would feel about their intermittent presences. Integrity is what they're afraid to lose.

Nobody ever personally told me that in line with popular belief, there is a mischievous leprechaun of some sort at the end of these rainbows bearing a huge pot of gold. I guess this is purely western (duh, leprechaun) and considering the fact that the Philippines won't be able to afford the gold. Not to mention I only heard this at television shows and kiddy books. Whoever made up this story wants children to be hungry of wealth and dirty old men who are green and epitomizes dwarfism.



It was so amazing seeing a rainbow that I usually had these strong urges to even go out from the classroom in the middle of a teacher's discussion of lame verbs and practically waste my time gazing at the fart-like gas. Wow... I usually tried to run and follow the rainbow expecting that I'd actually end up feeling it up close. But I never did. This is one of the most drastic disappointments I had in my childhood.

Out of pathetic curiosity, I'd point at the rainbow for an accurate nanosecond and quickly withdraw so as not to risk my tiny sausages from getting rot as the mysterious myth says. However, it was indeed possible to point at the rainbow without your fingers dying. As the very popular urban legend trick goes, after pointing at the colorful arc, just lick those fingers good and they'll be just fine. So I did. Every time. And hey, it actually worked!

I have not the slightest idea why I was very amused by rainbows as a child. Heck, I am not even a fan of colors. All the more reason not to like them. But yes, I usually dislike anything colorful. In fact, my top three favorite colors are white, black and grey -- all of which cannot be found in the interesting color wheel. Well, the colors which I normally like can never be found there, such as purple, aqua, silver, scarlet, pink, (wow, sounds like a set of sluts) and I can go on forever. Perhaps my fascination of rainbows way back then had a significant implication of what I am now.

This is yet another wonderful thing in life that can't ever be bought. So, did you lick your fingers too?

No comments:

Post a Comment