December 25, 2012

Veselé Vánoce

I was thinking of what to name this post and since "Merry Christmas" is already too mainstream, I decided to have it in a different language. Even though I have no idea how to say "Veselé Vánoce", I still chose it because it looks good, linguistic wise, and I've never heard anyone say it before. It's Czech, by the way.

Christmas eve is still the same, but with a couple of members absent. This year, dad couldn't be around because he's gone away to another country because of work. Well, he was actually present - virtually. Since my older brother has already family of his own, he is away with them for the holidays as well. For this year's Noche Buena, it's just me, my mum, and little sis.

Besides that, everything just went really fine. Mum still cooked us the greatest pasta and whatnot (I was hoping for a situation wherein I was outside, pelting snowballs at random people passing by). We ate dinner over Michael Bublé's Christmas album playing while subtle rain outside made the wind chilly.

Tomorrow (later, technically) during the real Christmas, more family members will be together same as every year. Annually, we gather in our grandparents' home and everyone in the extended family are there giving all of us a chance to keep up with each others' lives since most of the time we're busy with our own. From grandparents, uncles and aunts, cousins and siblings, everyone will be exchanging gifts.

Since it's really fucking late, I'll probably be sleeping my whole Christmas morning later. Basically, I'll miss giving candies to children and I'm really hoping to miss giving cash gifts to my godchildren. I have like, 14 of them already. I'm too young for that count. Which godparent is not gonna hide with that kind of number?

[Side note: It's raining harder. I hope it continues until later. *evil smirk*]

I don't know why but just right before the eve ended, I found myself watching the 2005 romantic drama film Brokeback Mountain. Definitely not a movie for the season but, whatever. Way back when it was still the talk of the town (or world), I only skimmed through the movie quickly (for some reason I had no chance to properly watch it) ergo I wasn't able to appreciate the plot just yet.

[Side note: The power went off. Yes, on Christmas eve. For a couple of hours. I had to feel our electric corporation's unreasonable bitchness during the gay yuletide. So then, to make the most out of the fucked up situation on a past midnight when the generator can no longer be turned on, I was compelled to cut the movie to save battery for the iPad and instead, I, for the meantime, (woo, that's a lot of commas) read Ellen Degeneres' Seriously, I'm Kidding while waiting for the electricity to come back. It's a funny read, though. I recommend the book to all bored, has-all-the-time-in-the-world bums like me.]

This time, I focused myself on grasping the movie's fundamental importance; basically, to watch it with sincerity. Cinephilia wise, I was into absorbing the artisticity of the film, and indeed, it deserved all the many awards it received. It's a depressingly great movie. It's so depressing that it entirely changed my mood from being engulfed with Christmas delight to embracing a gloomy grey romantic setting. There was even a part of the movie where I actually broke down into tears because of sympathy for one of the characters.

Jack: I wish I knew how to quit you.
Ennis: Then why don't you? *sobbing* It's because of you, Jack that I'm like this. I'm nothing. I'm nowhere.
Jack: *embraces Ennis* It's alright. It's alright. Damn you, Ennis...

Frankly, I hated myself for watching the movie. It's a really great work of art but it brought me sad emotions. I really felt for the characters. I'm so glad that the film wasn't based on a true story. Otherwise, I would have definitely felt worse. Nevertheless, I loved it and I applaud the actors Jake Gyllenhaal and the late Heath Ledger, the director Ang Lee, and the rest of the crew. Nice job.

No comments:

Post a Comment