November 21, 2012

I Love My Dad

I know it's not Father's Day and all but I just had to write this before it escapes my mind. Seriously, I don't even remember when Father's Day is, if not for Facebook or Wikipedia.

Anyways, I just got out from my hot bath in this cold weather and these odd thoughts just keep coming in like emails from your boss. I suddenly thought about how cool my dad is. I am trying my best to make this blurb to sound non-mushy in any ridiculous way. Also, this will probably be the first time that I'm going to write something about my old man having this kind of sincere effort. I mean, not that I didn't want to before, I think I just wasn't in a compelling situation to do so.

When I was a young kid, my dad was a strict parent. Most probably because he was kind of protective with his kids. I even remember my mom saying that dad had always loved having children. He didn't really allowed my older brother and I to go out with friends far away from home if we wanted to (or if he did, I would first cry blood before he gave me his permission). This was actually on me because my older brother wasn't as adventurous as I was back then. Mostly, I always played with the neighborhood kids in our area.

When I reached high school, my dad's strict senses backed down a bit and only had to make me go home when I'm being a little too gypsy already. I had my ear pierced when I was 16 and I didn't hear any snide remark from him, not a single word. When I reached college, I had an additional piercing on the same area, and another helix pierce on my right ear. That made them three, but I was never scolded for it.

Last year, without any permission or whatsoever (just joked to my mom), I had my first tattoo. Almost half a year since I got it, I never thought my dad wasn't aware that I had one (even if it's on my arm, visible). When I said something about blood and tattoo, he just asked where my tattoo was, showed him, and just said, "Okay." I even thought he was happy about it. I got a new tattoo more visible a few months ago and he still isn't complaining. Perhaps I need to go way further, don't I? But my dad never scolds me for what I do to myself, physically or in the matters of outlook. He won't care what I will wear, or any of that stuff. He only scolds me towards not-so-good things that I do to something or someone else. What I always expect from a good parent.

My dad does not argue. When there is something that needs discussing, he talks pleasantly. He also doesn't show any negative emotions while doing so. He never nagged. And I mean, never. In my 23 years of existence, never did I experience any annoying nor unnecessary fuss from my dad.

It has already been a very long time since my dad scolded me about something. I probably won't remember that anymore. He is fond of teaching his children about stuff that he tells with such great details, albeit about things that I most probably know already. On the other hand, when he's the one asking, he likewise wants everything detailed and in such a way that it will be easy to comprehend.

Most of the things that I spend on come from my dad. I just pretend that I won't be asking for any money but when he finds out that I will be going somewhere or I have something to do that will need spending, he is the first one who asks how much I will need, even if those activities are just out of my own wanting, luxury, or other unimportant recreations. For that, I am truly thankful.

I don't think I can ever complain about my dad being a father. He is very sweet to his children and he gives us everything we need and want, as long as it is reasonable. He never gets mad at us about simple mistakes. It's always the huge and really important things that he makes a big deal of, and there was never a time that I wasn't scared of him when he was truly mad.

I am very thankful that I am blessed with this kind of father. Never a bigot, has always been open-minded, understanding, loving, reasonable, thoughtful, and I can just go on forever saying wonderful things about him. One special thing about my dad and I will always be thankful for, is that he never forced me on doing something that I didn't want to do or taking a path that I didn't want to tread, especially about life and personal choices. He has his thoughts about what happens to me as his own, but I guess he just ponders upon them and just tries to be rational and understanding.

He's not perfect and he makes mistakes. But who doesn't? He may have done things in the past that I could never understand, but I'm sure he has his logical and valid reasons.

I love my dad.

PS. Great, now I have to do one for my mom as well. Hahaha. This is brief and I know I could have written more, but the point is, I did this because I appreciate my dad so much and for the things that he has done for me and our family. For the other stuff I couldn't mention, well at least I know they will forever be in my heart and mind.

2 comments: